menu   Home About Me Creations Advertise Copyright  

Thankful, teaser table, & toodles twice

found this chalkboard at a local antique / junk / craft store seriously it was like $5 ok maybe $10 in my opinion               WAY UNDER PRICED anywho I like to write quotes on it and it hangs right in my family / TV room

THANKFUL FOR YOU
man that just about covers it doesn't it???
thankful for my life, my boys, my family, my job, my health, my friends, my everything....
and of course...
I am very thankful for YOU!!!
I started this blog not too too long ago and in my wildest dreams never would have 
THUNK IT
would be where it is now...
wowzers
you guys have wrapped me in a bundle of warm tortilla LOVE
you like my snarkisms, truthisms, and Farleyisms
you don't care if I am a teacher and  don't use proper sentence structure
you don't care if I post family things on my teacher blog
you let me be me and well
*tear*
I have been inspired, complimented, encouraged, loved, hugged, kissed, blessed, and so much more because of this little ol blog...
I have gained great BLOGGY friends
that support my endeavors and accomplishments.
So in the spirit of the season
I just wanted to say 
THANKS!!!
My life and heart are blessed because of the joy you bring to my blog!!!


*******squirrel*****
 ok
wow that was so hard to write in the middle
my blog was like
what in the world
so now we are breathing a sigh of relief that we are once again left margin writing...
###sigh###
ok I had to share with you my PILE IT ON activity we did this week
my kids LOVED it!!!
L*O*V*E
LOVE


 first I teased them by setting the table with all the necessities for our Thanksgiving FEAST...
I set this up the day before and let them just baste a little in their curiosity
this class is a slight challenge... most of my boys are BOYS
and teasing them with things like this gets me through the day...
tee hee hee



 here is a looky lou at what it contains... 
6 plates with double digit multiplication and 10 different items to PILE ON
I cut out all of the food items and put them into their own conatiner

it also contains a recording sheet
the recording sheet has a front and back 
this is just the front
in the plate they write what plate NUMBER they are working on




then they use this key to guide them to find what items they need to PILE ON
 first they have to solve their plate problem and find their TURKEY


 next they move on according to the key...
they solve the problems on their recording sheet and then go and find their matching food item
 when they get to the back side of the recording sheet they really have to turn their brains on high...
they now need an organization sheet....
they have to find sums and differences that are equal to their product
so they have to go and get a sweet potato or pumpkin pie and solve...
if it matches they PILE IT ON
if not they put it back and go try another one
until they find the one that is equal to their product...
 

 not gonna lie this took a while (30 minutes for the fast fast finishers (super smart math guru)  and over 45 minutes for the rest)
and it required some thinking
they COULD NOT rush through this and be successfull
it was interesting to watch them try to rush through and try to be the first one done
even though it is self checking because the answers are on a food slip
some smartie pants would argue that the answer was not there
after explaining the answers are there and if it isn't
they are wrong
they would go back
reluctantly and try again
OH to their AMAZEMENT they were wrong
imagine that?!?!?
complete PILE IT ONS


in the end they were ALL successful and
AND
 they begged to do it again
and I really wanted them to do it again
REALLY I DID
but I had district testing I had to get done
SOOOO we will do it again when we get back from break!!!

If you are interested in this 
click on the link
 below the pic 
and it will take you there....
it is easy to prep and SO MUCH FUN
pinky promise
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Pile-It-On-a-Math-Station-for-Older-Kids

****Squirrel****

I promised some DRAW* WRITE * NOW goodies
I did I did
and let me tell you my kiddos LOVE those books...
 I like how each book has over 20 drawings to choose from
and they are all indexed in the very front of the book for easy decision making and page finding...
my fourthie couldn't decide between the elephant
 and the skunk
 we took a look at both...
see how they show you step by step how to draw the animals
and the RED line shows you the NEW lines to draw

she decided on the skunk...
she began her research and well
that is where we all left off...
researching!!!
so there is going to have to be a part 3 to this...
they were so so so so so so excited to make their own poems
after researching
it was really heart-warming to see all of their little brains working on this simple organizer...
you can click and save this  and use it if you want
 they could use the computer
non fiction texts
or encyclopedias to get their information
here is an example

can't remember what else she had but these were great... RIGHT???

they spent so much time gathering facts and writing their poems we didn't get done publishing
BUT they are going to be super CUTE
I am really proud of the kiddos on the amount of time they have spent researching four simple facts...
they are taking this assignment to heart...
YAY
I know some of them have gotten to rough draft status and some have started drawing...
I will sneak some pics when I go up to school with my teacher BUDS to clean and organize...
be on the look out for PART THREE and a give away :)

alrighty tighty whitey
I am done...
I now have to go and organize Bub's clothes
he probably has more clothes than I do ((((gasp)))
BUT that is only because I have a hard time packing up the clothes he has outgrown...
wish me luck here I go
TOODLES

oh and if you head on over to my TpT Store there is a FREEBIE there for ya... only til the end of November... lots of backgrounds to choose from :)




click the link below to go get your freebie...only up for November :)

toodles again

17 comments:

  1. Super cute! Draw write now looks really fun!
    And thanks for the freebie, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative Farley! Love your Pile It On! It sounds like your kiddos had a great time playing it! And thanks so much for your adorable thankful posters! I am thankful for YOU and all the fabulous 4th grade ideas you share!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOLLY you are too too sweet!!! thanks so much and hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading about the Draw Write Now books. I have used those books for years ever since a student brought a book for her Sharing. I bought all of the books and use them to teach Art (when I have time to teach that since I'm not allowed to do much of it). It helps me since I'm not very artistic and the kids feel so successful. We recently tried to draw the Mayflower using the Draw Write Now book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Pile it On unit...actually makes me wish I taught double digit multiplication!! And I love the clip art too. Where'd you get it?!?!

    Thanks for the freebie. It's downloaded, framed, and on my mantly already!

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO WAY you already FRAMED and have it up... send me a pic.. I would LOVE TO SEE IT!!!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE your plate activity...maybe consider a primary Christmas version? You're happy spirit is very infectious and encouraging, I am so glad I found your blog!(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love and adore your blogs and I am a kindergarten teacher so I can't always relate to what your kiddos are learning but I can certainly relate to many other things you write about. I think your Pile It On activity is AMAZING! I wanted to peek at it through TpT and it's not coming up.

    Also, congrats on the weight loss. I need to lose a good 20 pounds. I have a friend who did exactly what you did. Lost 50 pounds the old fashioned way. Eating well and exercising. My problem is... I am a complete sugar addict. I eat really well, actually. No soda, no meat. If sugar was no longer available the weight would drop off. Sigh... one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Genius plate idea! Still adding the fun although they are growin' up a wee bit more! I am thankful for you, and all the warmth you've put out there! You are a one in a million!

    Amy Howbert
    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so incredibly amazing and talented. Love that you do stations with your classroom!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic activity that Pile On is! I wish I had found it sooner...maybe have to do it as an "after Thanksgiving treat" when we get back from break :)

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to know where the graphics came from for the Pile It On activity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am your newest follower! I LOVE the thanksgiving feast activity. Very cute!!! Excited to keep up with your blog.<333

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Farley,
    Thanks for an entertaining post, all your activities are awesome! I was just stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW... thanks so very much!!! hope you have a great Thanksgiving too :)

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for the freebie! I LOVE the chalkboard. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS... have a great THANKSGIVING!!!

      Delete

~ I {PuFFy} HeArT comments!!!! THANK YOU!!!

JuSt an FYI

This policy is valid from 25 July 2011

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.

To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org/